Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Come Hell or High Fever, The Show Must Go On!

While the drama on the outskirts of the Suitcase House continued, I left for a three-day business trip to Texas right as the kids began running high fevers and coming down with strep. So although I work from home and only travel a few times a year, they are so skilled in scheduling their illnesses at the worst possible times, they were successful in keeping their dad out of work for a whole week!

When I got home, the #1 priority (other than making sure our kids didn't perish or suffer brain damage) was getting Natalie to her dance recital on Saturday afternoon. She woke up with a 103 fever and gagged up two doses of her yucky antibiotic that morning.

Yes, I am THAT mom. The poor kid had been to dance class nearly every Saturday since January. She'd worked hard. And not only did I have $75 worth of recital tickets in hand (that I had already decided JakeRyan would be scalping if we didn't go), but I had another $100 invested in her dance costume. And unlike the boys (who were wieners the entire week), she kept saying she was OK and didn't feel that bad at all. We were touch-and-go for a while, but 90 minutes before the show started we decided to pull the trigger and take her. We gave her the yummy purple Tylenol and hoped for the best. The show must go on.


We piled her half-sick fan club into the minivan and headed across town. Pop Pop stopped for flowers on the way. And the boys...they were exactly as you'd imagine two brothers would be when forced to go to their sister's dance recital while they were sick. Ryan took to counting down how many numbers we had to endure before Natalie was on. "Only 5 more to go!...Only 4 more to go!" Justin was just totally restless and annoying until in a moment of silence I heard snoring.


And that, my friends, is how you get a three-year-old to nap.


18 comments:

  1. I think the kids' looks in that that last picture says it all. I need to see if there are any dance recitals in my area because my three year old refuses to nap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww! So sorry to hear that everyone was not feeling well. She looks fabulous in her costume though :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry they were so sick! Natalie looks adorable. Love the boys faces in the picture. Could you get my 3 year old to nap? He has been a hellian lately.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We just had our recital. . . four hours. Six costumes. Soooo many tickets.

    Good times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HOLY CRAP JIM! We wouldn't have made it out alive. Luckily their dance school breaks up the little girls and the big girls so the parents don't have to suffer.

      Delete
  5. That last picture is hilarious. I would say Natalie looks a little less than enthusiastic, but adorable. We had my daughter's recital Friday night and my husband tried to bribe her into spraining her ankle so we wouldn't have to go. I was immediately thinking of the $100 or so I had wrapped up in it, and I was pretty determined that we would be going!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the faces in that last picture!

    I hope everyone is feeling better now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a trooper she was! I'm so glad she was able to be in the recital after she worked so hard.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awww, Natalie looks beautiful and so graceful. What a little trooper!

    ReplyDelete
  10. She is absolutely precious! Good for her fighting through the fever to perform. I'd be that mom too. The last picture is absolutely priceless -- you look ecstatic {probably to have made it through it all} but the kids all look like they need a nap!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those pictures are adorable. Although would it kill the girl to smile?

    ReplyDelete
  12. What flippin' cute kids you have! And I pulled the same thing for Jack's violin recital this year. We do what we must (and tell nobody in carpool lest they trace the ebola monkey back to us).

    ReplyDelete
  13. Watch out!
    Dance and "little girls" is a sickness in and of it's self! HaHaHa
    Mine has had the "bug" for five years now, and each year the commitment, time, money, and of course the "love of dance" grows and grows!!!!!
    She was adorable, fever or no fever :0)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awww her little outfit is so adorable! I hope all the kiddos are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  15. THAT'S how you get them to nap? But you make it look so easy! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. She looked adorable - and didn't get sick during the performance! You obviously made the right call!

    ReplyDelete