Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Reopening Old Wounds 19 Years & a BBQ Dinner Later

True Story: Last night, yes LAST NIGHT, in 2012 after eating BBQ for dinner, I had a dream that I had a second shot at being Prom Queen. This is quite a departure from the recurring dream I used to have where I had to go back to high school for some unknown reason because there had been a mistake and I didn't really graduate.

Last night I found myself in a kindergarten classroom with Natalie who wasn't actually my daughter, but my much-younger and prettier sister. Ryan was over in his classroom and he was my brother. There was some kind of mix-up (much like my recurring dream) and although I was new to the class and having a Billy Madison moment I was surprised to learn that I was eligible to be Prom Queen right as the kids were voting. Yes, kindergartners were voting for Prom Queen. This is my dream and I make the rules. 

I explained to Natalie how I had been in the running last year (evidently this was now 1994) and one of my best friends won instead, so it was really, REALLY OK and I was so happy for her. I was just honored to be considered again now. This was my chance! Full Disclosure: I was also not the winner of Homecoming Queen...I was really, REALLY NOT so keen on who won that one at all. 

As they counted the votes, (yes, impromptu counting right there in the classroom) I realized that I was losing again. The current leader for Prom Queen was Bruce Jenner as a write-in vote thanks to one big Jenner fan in her class who convinced the rest of the kids to follow suit, including Natalie. In this dream old people and men can be Prom Queen. I wonder if the Jenner involvement comes from my deep-rooted disdain for all things Kardashian. 

Natalie voted for Bruce Jenner instead of her own "sister." I knew that my only hope was if my good sibling Ryan was rallying his class for me. Then I woke up. Thank God because it would have been mortifying to lose to Bruce.

Here's a picture of my husband JakeRyan and me from one of our Junior Proms (we went to different schools).

We didn't go to our Senior Proms together, so he wasn't my date when I was a Prom Queen loser. He had dumped me a few months before prom and despite my stalking, psycho drive-bys and 15 phone calls a night, he didn't want to get back together. Shocking. 

I did have a date to prom. A very, VERY sweet guy who I ditched early in the evening so I could spend the night in the ladies room in a purple off-the-shoulder mermaid dress crying my eyes out because my true love JakeRyan was at his own prom across town with some trollop. And I stand by my "trollop" assessment of this girl nearly 20 years later. Me no likey.


I did emerge from the bathroom at the coaxing of my friends because they were announcing the Prom Court. For the walk out on the dance floor, I was paired with the kid who sat in front of me in Marine Biology class that repeatedly stuck his bare butt through the triangle in the back of the school chair just to bother me and my friend, our future Prom Queen. Visualize this. I'm sure he's a nice person now. He's got 4 kids.

To this day, one of the biggest regrets of my life was the way I treated my poor prom date. I think about it all the time and I'm disgusted by my behavior. I'm glad as I got older I developed better coping skills.

JakeRyan was Prom King at his prom. Salt in the wound. 


Linking up with Liz for I Was A Senior Hottie (or in my case, a Nottie).



32 comments:

  1. You are so beautiful ... yes, and just as beautiful today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do you even remember who won those things? I don't have clue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know I remember EVERYTHING! Plus, I lost so it was traumatic.

      Delete
  3. You look the same - gorgeous!!! Love the dream / the story / and that in the end you won the guy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Bruce Jenner dream killed me...in the best possible way.

    I wasn't prom queen (or even in the running) but my best friend was; and my little sister.

    Always a Bridesmaid, as they way. In REALLY ugly dresses.

    I hope JakeRyan was able to find happiness without you. Although I doubt it.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look at you two! You look exactly the same. With poofier hair. Very 90s chic. :D

    Hilarious dream! And I TOTALLY get the whole stalker/bathroom crying/trollop thing. May have been my senior prom too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love reading about you & JakeRyan through the years. Who knew you'd end up together with 3 little rugrats?

    You too are soooo cute together. And you do look exactly the same. How'd you manage that?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the dream. I have dreams where I had to go back cuz I didn't really graduate too. Weird.

    And you guys? Totally hot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great story. Love the two comparison pics. You guys are adorable. Even though you weren't prom queen at least you snatched yourself a prom king!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is one crazy dream!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Girl I am loving that junior prom dress! You were rockin' it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are beautiful, then and now! That dress was flipping awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was always in the running but never won... I wasn't ok with it now but looking back the girl who bet me at everything now doesn't really have much except to say "remember when I won." So I feel bad for being so bitter.

    As for the senior "Nottie" you are crazy! You were a hottie for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You look great - then and now. Your dream is insane :) But that's cool. I like that I'm not the only one who went to a prom with my now-husband. We still laugh about the one we were both at - with other dates. He remembers my date swallowing my face whole - not a pleasant experience. And I remember his date and her stupid silver dress with some kind of fake fur trim.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ridiculously pretty people. GAH. And how screwed up was that prom experience? I can't decide what was worse, the dream or the real thing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Our school didn't have a prom king or queen. We only did that for homecoming. And I have no idea who was even on our court. You have a great memory!

    You look great in that photo!

    ReplyDelete
  16. There is a LOT going on in that dream, girl.
    You had/have excellent taste in dresses and men. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOVE IT! And I suddenly want to rent some 1980s John Hughes flicks. I'm way older than you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can't get over Jake Ryan's awesome hair.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I so should have made a guy category - Looks Just Like Vanilla Ice!

    Ali, you are so pretty! Even in your uber-ruched dress back then.

    Thanks a TON for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What in the world did you eat before bed? That dream was hysterical! And you look ridiculously beautiful in that prom dress. You're just as beautiful now!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What the heck did you eat before you drifted off into dreamland?! That was crazy! I had to laugh when Nat even voted against you. All I could do was picture her cute face and her writing on a ballot!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow! You look exactly the same.

    I have to ask - do you really have a dream abot not graduating high school? I only ask because for the past few months I keep having this nightmere that I get a call from my high school and they tell me I didn't take a literature course from my least favorite teacher and I have to go back even though I have a college degree now. Glad to know I am not alone with this bizarre nightmere!

    ReplyDelete
  23. You seriously do look exactly the same! (Bitch) And that dress is gorgeous, especially with your tiny little waist! So pretty. I have nightmares about going back to high school once in a while...horrifying. And thanks for the bare butt in the triangle visual. Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  24. You totally should have won. You are GORGEOUS! And you have not changed hardly at all!! #NoFair

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is HILARIOUS!

    Um, you were SO cute in high school (and now of course too)! I came in runner up to my (used to be) best friend for our winter formal queen. I was so not ok with it.

    And JakeRyan? Looks like he might be related to Vanilla Ice. Or at least his hair was related to Vanilla Ice's hair. He he he. But that was SO the hot look in the early 90's, wasn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh my goodness you were so pretty in high school and are jsut as beautiful (if not more) now. I would've totally been jealous of you! Your date looks like a cross between Vanilla Ice and Zack Morris. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  27. You are beautiful! It is so crazy to me how many people started dating their now spouse in high school!

    ReplyDelete
  28. You are hot stuff! I love the story and oh my goodness I can't believe you remember all of that. Young love is tough. I too have spent times crying when I should have been moving on and having fun. I bet your prom date forgives you!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Other than the big poofy hair you still look the same. That dress was great. Glad JakeRyan ditched the trollop.

    ReplyDelete