Thursday, April 19, 2012

The Magic of Being Three

We are Disney people. It's who we are.

Living in Florida, for years Disney was at least a biannual jaunt. Often more.

Whenever I'm asked the best age for a kid to visit for the first time is, my answer, without hesitation is age 3. They're young enough to believe that the Magic is real and they are excited about everything, but old enough to go with the flow and understand that if they're good, fun stuff is in their future. Translation: As a parent, you get to soak in all the little kid cuteness and enthusiasm before it expires. You can see the world through their tiny eyes and it's awesome.

However, after having visited more than a dozen times in just a few years I, the mom, became saturated and initiated a "Disney Detox." We didn't visit for 16 months. Then I realized...I have a 3-year-old. This is my favorite age for Disney and Justin is missing it. I AM MISSING JUSTIN all simply because I was bored.

I made the decision to take one for the team and plan a trip complete with the three Suitcase kids and their cousins. And this 3-year-old didn't disappoint.


He raced around like a mad man, maneuvered his Dumbo elephant with gusto and swung from queue railings like Tarzan. He was a trooper whenever we told him to smile for photos even when he knew another ride was just around the corner. He tried his hardest not to touch the toilet seats or run out of the bathroom without me. 


He sat mesmerized in his stroller with his mouth open as the Main Street Electrical Parade passed and waved and screamed "hi" to each passing illuminated character. He took his yellow glow stick, reached up and poked the unfazed stroller attendant at Small World right in the very ample boob...on purpose, just for the heck of it and ran away, thus mortifying his mother. We made it through three days with only one or two behavior incidents - a success if you ask me.


He ate cotton candy that temporarily turned his teeth blue for the only family picture we took the entire weekend. He ran around catching Jake's gold doubloons as if they were real treasure, ignoring the fact that they were simply round pieces tissue paper being shot down from the ceiling.


Justin gave his Mommy that incomparable "I've got a little kid at Disney" feeling that won't be around much longer. Three is magical, three is fleeting. I'm not getting any more 3-year-olds. I'd better enjoy it while I can.




14 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you guys had a great time! I'm taking notes that 3 years old is the best time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We went to Disney when Maddie was not even 2. It was not our idea, but instead, my parents rented a house in Orlando and invited us and my brother down. Kate LOVED it being 4 at the time. But Maddie was a NIGHTMARE and made it miserable for the rest of us.

    We plan to go back next spring break, when Kate will be 7 and Maddie 4.5. I think M will be at a much better age to appreciate it while being able to "keep up", too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are also Disney people, though we live in IL. My daughter is now 3, and though she's been twice before, we're really looking forward to the trip we're planning for December. Ee're even contemplating leaving little brother with Grandma so we can really enjoy the experience with her. I'm glad to hear about your good experience and I think just a couple behavior issues is total success. Shoot, sometimes I think just a couple a day is success!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to take my 4 year old so bad!!! But living in Texas & being broke at the moment, it's just not in the cards. :(

    Glad you had such a great trip! The pics are great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love that family photo, and truly LOL'd at my desk just now at his blue teeth. Makes the picture that much more fun and memorable, if you ask me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post Ali! Just so you have something to look forward to, Kate and I (and her boyfriend) went recently, and it gets pretty cool again with 17 year olds.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This makes me want to pack up my 3 year old and go to Disney! Love the family pic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks like such fun! I love the blue teeth!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My little one is three now and we still haven't taken hr. I really hope we get to soon. I want to share this with her so badly. Looks like your three year old had a blast. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You can borrow Donut when she's 3 and take her since her dad refused to acknowledge that Disney is even a real place.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I took T to Disney World when he was 3. I was a newly single mother, and it was a difficult trip. But I'm so glad we went. I hope to take him to DisneyLand (which is at least on the same side of the country) this year or next. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. hmm. this post has given me some thought. we had always planned to go when the kids were a titch older. we have 10, 9, 7, and 3 now. we live in texas, so this will be a more pricey trip for us and we had just always thought 3 might be too young. will have to talk to hubby again and maybe rethink our plan. thanks for the info! and, as usual, your post was funny and photos of your family are great.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The first time I went to Disney I was 13 years old. Yeah, I think my mom was a bit disappointed with my reaction because, you know, teenagers hate everything. Especially animated, touchy-feely people dressed in large animal costumes.

    ReplyDelete