Wednesday, March 28, 2012

WTF Wednesday - The "Good Self Esteem or Totally Delusional" Edition

This morning I opened Ryan's school folder just before he sat down to breakfast. In it I found an assignment that his class did yesterday with the guidance counselor. 

Each one of the petals on this flower has something positive Ryan said about himself. I love assignments like this.  Good self esteem is so important and luckily not a problem for Ryan. 


So I read a few of them:
  • "I am fun." - Yep, a party animal.
  • "I Rock!" - I completely agree. 
  • "I smell awesome." - Most of the time, yes.
  • "I am respectful." - In comparison to your brother and sister, yes. 
  • "I am fair." - Clearly he was grasping at things to say.
  • "I am pie." - Pretty sure that's not what he wrote, but I can't read his writing through purple crayon. 

And then I saw it: "I am smoking hot." 


Oh my gosh, did he really??? He did. 

I asked him about it and he refused to discuss it with me. Perhaps it was the fact that I burst out laughing when I saw it.


So like the supportive mom I am, I decided to give him a little encouragement. I often write nice messages on Post-it notes and stick them in with his sandwich. Here is today's:



As his mother, I'm not sure that I can weigh in on whether I agree with this or not. If you've got an 8-year-old daughter maybe you can ask her what she thinks. Here he is today eating his Frosted MiniWheats. What do you think? Is he "smoking hot?"


How about filling his water bottle for his lunch box? "Smoking hot?"




WTF?!?!?

26 comments:

  1. I love that note! Talk about a great mom moment. I don't have an eight year old girl and it has been way too long since I've been one so I won't weigh in on the matter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He looks just like his momma so he must be right!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He's got the model scowl and great hair. I'd say that makes for a classic 8 year old hottie! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How funny! I agree with Brianne! I'm thinking his messy hair and pouty face have him all the rage at school!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know about smokin hot but he is pretty stinkin cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha ha this is hilarious! Maybe a little girl at school passed him a note saying he was smoking hot :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll ask my daughter when she gets home from school. She's 8 and she likes "smoking hot" boys. I'll let you know what she said!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is the best petal of them all! I love it!! Hope he keeps that confidence as he grows. I'm pretty sure between the good looking genes you and JakeRyan gave him he will definitely have girls calling your house all of the time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not gonna lie, he had me at "I smell awesome."

    I'm also pretty sure my husband could have completed this assignment yesterday with almost the exact same answers, just replace "pie" with "beer."

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't know about "smoking hot", but he is definitely adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes! And I love his self esteem! Way to support him!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That. Is. Awesome! And yes, my 7y/o daughter now has a raging crush on him. Be sure to sit by me at the rehearsal dinner! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That note!!! Perfection. So glad you won't have to worry about self-esteem issues with this little hottie-patahtie.

    ReplyDelete
  14. He's dark and brooding - even better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We ragged on him all night. Nothing like your 3 year old brother screaming "Hey Ryan! You're smokin' HOT!"

      Delete
  15. I love his smoking mad face.... that must have been right after you bursted out laughing!! If he thinks he is smoking hot then that is all that matters since he is always so smoking respectful and sooo smoking cute....

    ReplyDelete
  16. I guess as long as he didn't mean he's on fire, it's all good. And OH SO FUNNY!!! HA HA HA!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bwaahahaaa!
    I'm not sure which is a better compliment - being smoking hot, or being pie.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm going to go out on a platonic mother of girls limb here and say yes, he is in fact smoking hot. Whoo!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I saw the smoking hot leaf before I read the post and I was cracking up. He is definitely on fire. But in a kid way.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Ali. First-time visitor from Cleveland. Saw a comment you made on Momma Kiss' blog and decided to click-through. Enjoyed this post and loved his "mad face" too. Classic! Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I LOVE me some MommaKiss. Thanks for visiting. And if you ever want to pass on the Constant Complainer crown, you've now met your gal.

      Delete
  21. That was the 1st petal I noticed too!! Ok, I'll ask Donut in the morning if she thinks Ryan is smoking hot. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  22. No problems with self esteem there!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm not comfortable calling your son Smokin' Hot.. and my daughter is 2 so I'm not encouraging her to date your son either.

    I do, however, think his hair is trend setting and he could have a career in modelling.

    Does that work?

    ReplyDelete
  24. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete