Wednesday, March 14, 2012

WTF Wednesday - The "Clearing Out the Baby Stuff Sucks" Edition

We're having some work done on the house so naturally my husband JakeRyan is in super-duper annoying organizer mode. And like the heartless ass-hat he is during these jags, he once again pleaded with his hoarder wife to donate the 15 baby blankets we had collecting dust in Natalie's closet. Jerk.

"I just can't bear parting with these," I said. "Somebody spent a lot of time knitting them."

"Who?" he replied. Dead silence... 

"I don't remember. I think Mrs. O'Riordan, but that's not the point." So the blankets got donated.

Ryan wanted to see what was in his baby box so we spent a few minutes sifting through hospital bracelets, first locks of hair, his first blankie, stuff he made in preschool and a teeny tiny pacifier. His box was chock-full. First kid.

Natalie's box had a little less, but mostly the same stuff, a little bikini and a old crusty hot pink pacifier.

Of course, being #3, Justin's box was nearly empty. It was pitiful. We put some stuff in. I hope it was his.

After an hour of this I was feeling uncharacteristically sentimental. Packing up baby stuff is HARD when you know there are no more kids for you. Hooray! So in an unprecedented move, I got up and walked into the other room, hugged my husband and made a little sound like a whining puppy. I also may have also jutted my lip out all sad-like. Not that he saw me because my head was buried in his big hairy chest. He had a shirt on, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to harp on his Sasquatch-ishness. 

"What's wrong with YOU?" he asked.

"Wah, I'm sad that we're never going to have any more babies."

"Well if you turn around now you can at least see your 5-year-old daughter sucking on a pacifier."

And yes, it squashed my baby fever really quick. That thing has been sitting in a baby box for over 3 years. Gross!

WTF?!?!?


17 comments:

  1. HA! I feel your pain - it's a curse and a blessing to know you're finished adding to the brood. My 7yo daughter just sorted through her things (she's a hoarder-in-training) and generously donated a box of items to her baby sister - 2 choking hazard Happy Meal toys, three mismatched socks, and some clip-on earrings. Wow, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "made a little sound like a whining puppy. I also may have also jutted my lip out all sad-like" haha busted! now we know where Natalie got her flare for the Dramatics from........ Love the Hot Pink Pacifier.......so very Natalie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am devastated at the thought my "baby" will leave me for college in 2 1/2 years. I miss toddler kisses and hugs in the worst way but will have to wait until I'm a nonna. This factory is shut and waiting for demolition!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew I would miss my babies when they were grown, but I enjoyed them so much at each stage of their lives--well, there were a couple of teenage years when I felt I could have cheerfully drowned them--that I couldn't feel too sad. I am definitely looking forward to grandbabies, but I can wait a few more years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh! I totally thought this was going somewhere else that would involve #4. Thank goodness the pacifier saved the day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I get that feeling sometimes. We just recently cleaned out my youngest's closet and I got rid/donated a ton of stuff... a lot of it still from her older sister. It gave me a hitch but when I sit there at night and can't get one of them to sleep and all I want to do is crawl into bed, I remember why we stopped!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am 38 years old and my mom still has my gross pink binky too! I think it may be the cure to most illnesses.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL. I don't want to throw anything of Donut's away. I think so far I've pretty much kept everything except for one outfit that was stained beyond repair.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So Mr. Suitcase wears a sweater w/out putting in any clothing? Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hahaha! That is hilarious :) I never get baby fever. Ever! (I am so lying!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ewwwwwww! The kids things do. I've cried about giving up certain things too. Then some things haven't been hard at all - it's weird b/c there's no rhyme or reason to it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I so know how you feel! As I type this, I'm sitting in my parents' garage working a garage sale (where, by the way, I just saw a big lady in an Army t-shirt with no bra.)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ali, if you had a hard time with this, I'm frightened for myself. I HAVE a toddler and I miss toddler hugs. Crap. I gotta break this or I'll raise Norman bates

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, ewwwww!

    We got rid of our baby stuff(most of it anyway) when we were moving from PA to NC. We knew we were done and it didn't make sense to bring it with us. So, it was fast and sort of painless. Now, I wish we had some. No more babies- but just because.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ha, that is too funny. I am still in collection mode but I don't even know what I did with #2's hospital bracelet. I'll have to craft one up if he ever asks for it. I wonder if Pinterest has a tutorial for that.

    ReplyDelete