Thursday, December 22, 2011

Sucking It Up for Santa

Last Saturday in a moment of holly jolly frenzied insanity we took kids to see Santa. Not all the kids, just the ones with penises because the girl was at a sleepover.

Santalapsitting isn't exactly my bag. And very importantly: Nobody has ever ASKED to go see Santa.

Natalie has never wanted to even go within 10 feet of the guy (she shudders at the sight of anything in a costume), Ryan is just as happy writing a letter and plopping his butt on the couch and poor Justin has no idea that there is even the meet-and-greet option. He's quite a deprived child. Miraculously, presents just show up on Christmas and we move on.

Anyhoo. Sometimes you gotta suck it up and be a mom. Since Nat was out for a girls' night woohoo girls' night! we decided to trek down to Bass Pro Shops - Shut up! Yes, I went into Bass Pro Shops, get over it - for some testosterone-filled Yule Tide action.


And at the risk of this sounding like a sponsored post (which it is NOT) I will only ever go to this place for Santa pictures for the rest of my parenting career. Why, you might ask?  Because you got an actual appointment to see Santa. Yep. Like a fast pass at Disney. Come back in the 30-minute window. Shop and spend money in our store. Fine by me. 

So instead of listening to them complain about waiting in a 2-hour mall Santa line, they got to do all kinds of rugged boy stuff while I got to be in an air-conditioned building. Win/win.

And if all of that along with the free kids' meals weren't worth the 45 minute drive, these two shots definitely were worth having to walk down rows and rows of camouflage clothing.


Merry Christmas!

17 comments:

  1. Fantastic except for one thing. Why is there no Santa/Jeff picture? Oh, he must have been busy shopping for blow guns or compound bows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My youngest has no idea that there's a meet & greet option. The boys were always terrified of seeing the guy so I figured why put her through that?
    The first year I forgot to take them OF COURSE I was reminded at 6pm Xmas Eve. I was.not.going to the mall then so I did what any Mom would do.. I called him & it worked like a charm. After that? I was never paying to see the guy again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Bass Pro Santa thing. We're actually headed there today. Piss on the mall Santa line and all the crabby people in it. :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Appointments are genius! My oldest doesn't want any part of Santa either, she'll get close if the elves are handing out candy canes. This year my 4yo asked when we were at the mall and even more shocking there was no line.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I HAD NO IDEA THIS WAS AN OPTION!

    I actually love Bass Pro....there's always fun stuff to find and spend money on. And also, the restaurant is really good (IMO).

    I don't know if we'll ever go see Santa again. Ok...maybe that's a little dramatic, but we haven't had luck with him or the Easter Bunny or any other gigantic costumed holiday person in a long, long time. My kids get freaked out too easily.

    BUT, an appointment and a free meal? I could go for that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those photos are adorable!

    Merry Christmas Lynchers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know, to have Santalapsitting as a word and penis' all together just smacks of ... ack, too many shades of wrong.
    You are such a 'ho ho ho' ;)

    actually you are kinda sweet and glad we got to hang yesterday - especially since today i am hacking up a lung!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Air conditioning? It's 30 something degrees over here. I need a heater.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great pics! And he's not even a creepy Santa! Maybe we'll start going to Bass Pro for ours too! Love the appointment thing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A Santa appointment does sound like the way to go - I always find a random strip mall Santa that's never crowded for my kids. But I didn't even take them to see Santa this year. We don't have a Bass Pro Shop here - and I kind of don't think my girls would like it anyway :)

    Merry Christmas! (Congratulations on your #antlerup victory!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I guess if you are taking only the kids with penises to see Santa, Bass is the place to go! Those are great pictures. I'm hoping for the "presents just show up and we move on" option. I get no joy out a scared screaming toddler on a old man's lap. I also don't know why I should pay 15 dollars for it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Its so strange for me to read that you are going into air conditioning. That Santa must have been hot.
    And I love me some Bass Pro.

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow, I like the way they work there! What adorable pictures. Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have heard about Bass Pro Christmas stuff and we have one here but we've never thought to take the girls. Yay for family Christmas time!

    ReplyDelete
  15. My kids saw Santa 3 times and thank God for Grandma and aunt and uncles because I saw the big guy ZERO times. I am the only one of my siblings who has kids so they think it is so FUN to take them. Have at it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. santalapsitting...this needs to be in the Urban Dictionary! Well, did the LIKE seeing Santa?

    ReplyDelete