Friday, December 16, 2011

Cheap Crap and A Cheap Compliment

Today I went to volunteer at the PTA Holiday Shop fundraiser at Ryan's school.

You know, the thing where they sell Dollar Store crap for $5.00? Where parents send their kid with $2.75 and tell them to bring home three presents (true story).

I chose today because it was the day his class was shopping. The kids had to sit in the chairs and go in shifts. Always one to make an example of the good kids, I noticed that Robbie was the only one sitting there quietly with his hand up - the quiet sign, like in summer camp.

"Robbie, you're first!" Robbie jumped up and started shopping. As soon as the other kids caught on, 15 more hands shot up in the air.

Crap, how am I going to choose? Can't pick Ryan because I don't want them to think I'm favoring him. 


I stood there clueless as to how I was going to amicably choose the next shopper when Angelina T. (yes there are two Angelinas in his class) tipped the scales in her favor.

Angelina looked me right in the face, flashed a toothy grin and as sweetly as possible said "You're prettttttyyyyy." 

"OK, Angelina! You're next!"

Yep, I'm that cheap and can be bought. Always wanting to make an example of the smart kids too. Gotta give credit to a 2nd grader who can think on her feet and get herself noticed.  Heck, none of those other little booger-pickers had a plan. 

Merry Christmas to YOU Angelina T.! May your days be merry and bright and may you have much butt-kissing success in the New Year!



20 comments:

  1. I think you're really pretttttyyyyy too! I hope you'll remember this comment if I ever need a favor...or if I ever have $2.75 burning a hole in my pocket and want to buy some dollar store crap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're prettttttyyyyy.

    And the PTA scares me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job picking Angelina 1. Angelina 2. better step up her game and lob a good compliment first next time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, those kids are disciplined! At my girls old school back in CA, I volunteered at the shop and the whole class descended upon us like vultures. Run for cover!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you look like a prettier Pippa. Am I next?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dude, I would've settled for a "you're not ugly."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seems like a logical reason to pick Angelina T. to me :) I volunteered (sort of) for Career Day in my 2nd grader's class this year. And when she told me that she thinks Michael A. is in love with me because he kept talking about me after I left, I felt pretty special!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh i remember those days when i was on the pta and had to attend all of that stuff ... never attended a one without a cocktail, even if it was tia maria in my morning coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kate just bought us all presents at her Jingle Mart (or whatever they call it). I totally laughed at your "dollar store for $5" line. Their note said gifts went up to $20. Can you imagine the crap $20 can buy you??

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm cheap for a compliment too! Angelina T deserves our respect, she will go far in life!

    ReplyDelete
  11. HAHA... perfect! She's a smart one for sure & will go far!

    My daughter's school is like that... everything is orderly. No chaos there!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are too good for volunteering. I did it a few years when my oldest was young and it required too much math for me. They are so terribly cute though wanting to buy things for their family.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Atta girl, Angelina!!! She's going to go far in life. Either that or she'll end up under the bleachers smooching with the quarterback in high school...it could go either way at this point. :)

    Happy holidays!

    Lots of yummy love,
    Alex aka Ma What's for Dinner
    www.mawhats4dinner.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. You've gotta respect a woman with a plan, even if she's only 8.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That little Angela T. will go far in life for sure. Smart kid!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hahaha!! Yes, you had to reward Angelina T. for that one. She was telling the truth, after all!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a smarty pants! That little girl is going places.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like the way she thinks. And you, obviously, chose the right kids.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are pretty!
    And I don't recall getting an invite to a $5.00 junk table.
    I could have scored huge!

    ReplyDelete