Tuesday, November 22, 2011

It's Not About Feeding The World, It's About Beating My Sister

We have a little family Christmas tradition.

And by "we" I mean just me and my sister. Nobody else has ever been invited to participate. And truthfully if somebody else wanted to join we'd laugh in their face.

It's a contest: Whoever is the first to hear the best Christmas song EVER, Band Aid's Feed the World, Wins. That's it.

Rules:
1. Has to play randomly, like on the radio, satellite or in a store - Proactively obtaining it on YouTube doesn't count.
2. Has to be accompanied by a cell phone call where the other person can HEAR it.
3. Winner gets bragging rights for a year.

Lame? Totally.

But we're children of the '80. In the days prior to the internet, hearing an iconic Christmas song the way it was intended (only at Christmas) was a huge treat. When it would come on the radio each year we'd freak out...for years...and years. Somewhere along the line it became a contest. I don't even remember when.

Satellite radio really screwed up my winning streak. Not to mention that I work from home and spend all of 10 minutes a day in the car. Melissa has been the reigning winner for at least the last 3 years.

So the point of this post: GAME ON LISS! I'm throwing down the gauntlet. I'm not listening to satellite radio until I win. 2011 is the year of Ali.

For the completely clueless who don't know what I'm talking about I've attached it below. You should watch for the following reasons:

1. It's about feeding starving kids in Africa this is not a real reason to watch it, but I felt like I had to say this...
2. John Taylor - my Duran Duran boyfriend and hottest guy ever to walk the earth playing bass very giddily.
3. Sting at his absolute sexiest. No arguments. This was his sexiest.
4. Bono sporting a mullet.
5. You'll probably never hear Paul Young sing again.
6. Boy George sings a mean "ooohh."
7. Random members of Kool & The Gang standing out like sore thumbs among all the Brits.
8. Bananarama!!! Bananarama! Bananarama!

If you want to know who wins I'll post this year's winner on the Blog's Facebook page.

22 comments:

  1. I never knew they were singing "Feed the World"...I learn so much from your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So that's NOT the one with Dan Akoryd? GREAT game!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The word bananarama will make me watch just about anything

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was a lot of sport coats, popped collars and sport coats with popped collars

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am laughing out loud!!! Hahahaha!!! I love, love, love that contest you have with your sister and loved seeing these guys again. That made my morning!

    P.S. John Taylor is MINE.

    ReplyDelete
  6. YES....PLEASE post it.. I love this game big time. I sort of want to steal it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great! Now I have that song stuck in my head. My sister and I have a similar game with Wham's, Last Christmas. But we don't get bragging rights, although this year I might just call to start taunting her about it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. AWESOME! This is the kind of pointless "I'm better than you" contest I love. Plus, this song is the best song ever. So much better than "We are the World."

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad John is your boyfriend because Simon & I have been going steady for years. We'll have to double date sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now that is my kind of contest! Also? I love that song!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great now I'm singing that damn song very loudly. lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is definitely the best Christmas song ever! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dork.

    Gawd I wish I had a sister.
    My brother sucks

    ReplyDelete
  14. F'reals, I am laughing my ass off. Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is just silly. And kind of sweet, to have a game like that with her.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ha ha, so much hair! I love that song too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. My bff and I have a similar, unofficial tradition, only it's "Last Christmas" By Wham!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have yet to hear it and have been listening to Christmas music a lot on the radio.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's pretty awasome.I'm a child of the 80s too. Totally doesn't matter if it's an interesting or whatever contest, it's something fun with your sister and I think that's cool.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have 4 sisters. We have no competitions ... well, quiet ones with sinister undertones. Maybe not THAT bad.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think it's adorable that you & your sissy are so close. The title had me fooled, though. "...Beating My Sister." Lol!

    ReplyDelete