Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Business Travel - Heck Yes!

Traveling for work is damn awesome. I'm not going to lie. I was a pretty regular traveler back in the day, lugging a laptop through numerous airports even 8 months pregnant...because I'm super. What always struck me as humorous is how many people suggested “It must be so difficult to be away from the kids.” Um, no. Are you kidding? Forget the fact that I'm not exactly an Earth Mother, but why is this so hard for people to believe? Let me explain.

As a mother of three, I have very little time to myself. Traveling for work gives me an excuse to have a little MANDATORY “me time.” There are no arguments from my husband. It is work and I am required to go. It’s an all-expense-paid trip really. I don’t care if I’m not in an exotic location. Dayton, Ohio is enough for me.

First and foremost, I get to unleash my inner slob for a few days. No one has ever accused me of being tidy. I’m a pig. I’ve always been a pig and I don’t plan on making any major life changes now. And much to the dismay of the man I married, I throw stuff everywhere, but when I’m home I at least do what I call “picking up the big chunks.”

Basically, anything that would seem irresponsible to a moderately tidy person gets picked up. Like blatant paper on the floor, dishes on the bathroom counter (yes bathroom), dog vomit. Anything else can wait until I'm damn good and ready to clean it up.  Here are a few shots of what my room looked like last week. Excuse the ugly iPhone images. Crap everywhere! Shoes kicked off the second I walked in the door. Razor left on the side of the tub. Party supplies on the couch because I also found some "me time" for shopping. It was awesome!

Traveling for work allows me to sleep in a big bed all by myself. Right in the middle. No snoring husband, no possibility of a kid walking in at 3 a.m. wanting to sleep in with me, no Chihuahua between my legs (Chihuahua between my legs is not code for anything kinky...my dog literally climbs into bed and snuggles behind my knees). It’s just me under the covers in a 68 degree room. Of course I drop the air conditioner to sub zero temps because I’m not the one paying for it.                

I get to watch TV. Yes, a simple concept, but I don’t get the luxury at home. What do you think the odds I are of me sitting in my family room and watching two back-to-back episodes of Dance Moms? I'd never even seen it before. But I certainly wasn't going to get the chance at home. The only thing we watch back-to-back is Bubble Guppies and I have to be on hand to do the DVR for Justin.

And can we please talk about free food? Not only do I not have to cook, I get to eat real restaurant food. And we’re not talking about McDonalds. Since I’m not paying for it I spring for the appetizer. Wooo! Party time. AND I can eat in bed.

Finally, my work travel allows me to continue the affair I’ve been having for years. I'm not proud of this. I really only ever see him when I go away since we can’t rendezvous with my husband and kids around. But thanks to TBS, me and Zack Morris can spend our mornings together at Bayside. It’s a bit of a tradition we have, me and Zack. We only get to see each other when I have a hotel room to myself. I have had to share a room with co-workers upon occasion. They’ve met Zack. They think I’m crazy, but they don’t judge. Today, my boyfriend had to break it to his friend Slater that his pet chameleon Artie died. He’s so sensitive. I love you Zacky. I took a picture of him and Screech right after they figured out that he wasn't just sleeping.


See you in Orlando next month Zacky Baby! 

14 comments:

  1. I love business travel. I haven't done it in a while, but oh how I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha glad you got some time to yourself. And who doesn't love some morning time with Zack!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe I ought to go back to work. This sounds like a pretty good perk. I love that fact that you still watch Saved by the Bell!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! I would love to travel for work like this if I could. Free time is awesome. I can't believe you watch Saved By The Bell though. That is hilarious. I haven't seen that show in years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to get away for a few days by myself! I love that of all the shows, you picked Saved By The Bell. I loved that show but haven't watched it in so long!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am SO unbelievably jealous.
    I commute an hour to work 3 days a week, and that's the only "me" time I ever get.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got to watch zach every morning of my maternity leave and it was magical. And work travel? Sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. craig taunts me all the time with his quiet nights, dinners out and bed to himself.

    way to make me jealous, ali! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Traveling alone = awesomeness! I so wish this would've been just a little bit closer. I totally would've crashed your hotel stay!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds amazing to me - right down to being allowed to be messy and watching whatever you want. I never travel for work. I could travel more if I wanted to, and the perks would be awesome, if I didn't have a husband who would be mad about it the whole time so that I would feel guilty. I would definitely take a guilt-free trip to myself though!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, you made me nostalgic. I used to love leisure morning time without having to feed or tend to others. The only bad moment came on a trip to Bermuda when I was 7 months pregnant and they tried putting me on a plane back to Chicago. I guess babies born in Bermuda get some kind of status and employment preferences, so I had to cry to be allowed to stay. Even then, I think they were fully prepared to ship me out at the first hint of labor. Good times, good times.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is hilarious. And kind of mean, since you're totally taunting me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, I am right there with ya. I'd stay in a Youth Hostile if it meant I'd get a few minutes to even HOLD the remote ... wait a minute, do they even have tvs in Youth Hostiles? Anyways, loved it!! I found you from Kelley's Breakroom ... really great site! I even clicked that button & became a follower!! Stop by and take some potty talk trivia over at www.southernmomentum.com ... your guaranteed to learn some useless knowledge!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I need to find a company that will send me away on business!

    OH and I used to LOVE Saved By The Bell! Haven't seen that show in ages!

    ReplyDelete