Thursday, June 16, 2011

Updating My Resume - Postition: Slut

My husband (gotta love him) isn't much of an internet user. He has a personal email that he never checks. He only has a Facebook page because he wanted to find one guy. That's it. Don't get me wrong, he can rock an Excel spreadsheet like a madman, but he couldn't care less about social media.

Recently, at the urging of his coworkers he joined LinkedIn (for those of you who are unfamiliar, it's basically like Facebook for professional contacts - I happen to think it's a must-have for anyone with a career). Note: I've told him to join dozens of times to no avail.

Last week he came home and told me he got on LinkedIn. "Really? Well why haven't you sent me a request to connect?" Insert some crap about him not knowing how to do it or really caring...blah blah.

"OK, I'm going to send you a request." So the next day, I went into my office and decided I was going to be funny. And instead of answering the required 'how I know him' with the usual connection of "friend" or "other" in the little request box that pops up, I made up a company name and a title for my request to him because I'm so damned funny...

Company: Hubba Hubba
Title: Beastmaster
From: 1991 - 2011 (for all the years we've been together, barf)

Oh yeah. I'm a freaking riot aren't I? And obviously not particularly 'hot' or creative. Hubba Hubba was the best I could come up with??? Hubba Hubba? I hit send I forgot about it. He never mentioned it.


This week, I was in the office with my boss and he wanted to send my profile to a colleague of his. I was standing right behind him looking at my own profile when I saw Hubba Hubba on my page!

"OH MY GOSH! WAIT! DON'T SEND IT!" - and then I had to explain.

So here's a tip: Evidently, when you just say you worked somewhere, LinkedIn believes you and saves you the trouble of updating your own profile. Thanks a million LinkedIn!

This can only happen to me.

Luckily, my boss knows me. Knows I'm not a raging whore and knows I'm not stupid enough to make a joke out of my LinkedIn profile...more than once.  And by the way, my husband wasn't the only person I sent requests to that day. It sat out there for well over a week like that. Interestingly, I had no job offers for Director of Domination or anything!

I linked up with Bruna at Bees With Honey today. Bruna, I hope I'm not embarrassing you... :)
Let's BEE Friends

21 comments:

  1. I am rolling! So funny. I can't believe your husband never even mentioned it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh....that is hysterical!!!! XD You are so damned funny :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahahahahahaha!!!!!! OMG I snorted!!!

    Too funny, just too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How mortifyingly hilarious! This is a great PSA!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, that's hilarious! This is totally something that would have happened to me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am in tears over here laughing at you, I mean with you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are hysterical. And so nervy! I'm very surprised you didn't get any offers ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. that.is.hilarious!! OH MY GOODNESS!! also - good to know about LinkedIn... I'm on it, but don't check/update it very often... that's too funny :)

    also - my husband is similar. he checks his personal email every couple of months, he checks his work email religiously (gotta know if there are overtime shifts available, or if time off requests have been approved, or if he has a subpoena for a trial, and any other work-related news that he needs to know, etc.) but he has no use for (and actually despises) all social media. he made me deactivate the FB page I made for him when I wanted to be sure he was getting class reunion updates even. *sigh* but the man knows his way around the internet and computers - he types faster than I do - even does well typing & driving (I want to be a cop just so I can have a laptop in my car all the time!! wouldn't get much work done though!) ;)

    ps - next time your company is hiring, can you let me know? I know people, who know people... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome move there. I like the Hubba Hubba, that's right about right. But BeastMaster? More other relatives I know of yours than you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hahaha! Oh my gosh! Too funny. Thank goodness you have an understanding boss!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I so wish we were LinkedIn contacts so that I could've seen "Beastmaster - Hubba Hubba" on your profile. I would've died (and then brought it to your attention... maybe).

    Seriously. As a LinkedIn user, that just cracked mu sh*t up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thing is I'd love to do something as incredibly awesome, but my boss isn't nearly as cool. Total douchecanoe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The only thing I can do is laugh at this. And I'll admit, it's at you. Forgive me. ;) Hubba hubba!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Omg this is hilarious. I think I have a linked in profile. I believe I might need to check & edit it...

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG, hilarious. That is so something I would do! Hubba hubba. Good thing you caught it when you did. I don't think a week could do any damage.

    Too funny and no I'm not embarrassed! Silly girl.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, the horror you must have felt when you say that open on the screen! Thank goodness you did catch it before it was sent!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is hilarious! That sounds like something I would do, especially the "not realizing" part. You have convinced me to join LinkedIn. I have only gotten a gazillion requests. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think the funniest part about it is that your boss opened up. I almost peed my pants I was laughing so hard. Sounds like you have a pretty cool boss! This was just hysterical!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think the funniest part about it is that your boss opened up. I almost peed my pants I was laughing so hard. Sounds like you have a pretty cool boss! This was just hysterical!

    ReplyDelete