Friday, June 10, 2011

Out In Public With 6 Kids - Judy Moody And The Not Bummer Summer

A few weeks ago on a Saturday morning I was doing dishes while the kids were watching TV in the next room.

Let's take a moment while you get the visual of me doing dishes so you can laugh.

Out of the corner of my eye I caught a glimpse of Heather Graham. I LOVE HER. I mean ever since License to Drive and of course she was the mother of the E.T. robot baby in The Hangover.

What? A kid's movie? Judy Moody? Hmmm. That might be do-able.

A few days later I was invited to attend a screening of Judy Moody And The Not Bummer Summer. The stars aligned and I was going to attempt to take my kids to a movie. Not only my kids, but my girlfriends Lisa and Lori and their kids too.

"Mom! How many more days 'till we see Judy Moooooddddyyy?" 

We YouTubed the trailer a dozen times to get psyched up. Judy Moody was my new vehicle for getting things done. "If you still want to see Judy Moody you have to clean up the playroom."


The girls bought the snacks. They insisted, but I still feel bad.


We got settled in. You have NO idea how hard it was to make sure the each kid was sitting next to the right other kid, but still close enough to their mothers.




But anyway, to get to the point, Judy Moody And The Not Bummer Summer was super cute. I really liked it (which is not a surprise because I like most kid movies.)

Storyline: Judy put together a list of things she and her three other friends had to do that summer in a contest to get 'thrill points.' Two of the friends bummed Judy out at the last minute when one was going to Circus Camp and the other to Borneo. Judy was stuck at home with Aunt Opal while her parents went to California and she had to try to do thrilling things at home.

The cinematography was very well done. I loved that they actually had 'words' on the screen several times throughout the movie to draw attention to certain things. This was very cool for the kids that can read...of course they read everything out loud.

Ryan's comment: "It is not a girl OR a boy movie." Which is a very good thing since the main character is a girl which might deter a lot of parents of boys. However, there were plenty of boy characters, Bigfoot and even a puke scene to keep the boys happy. I repeat: This is not just a movie for girls. And for the dads, there's a scene with Heather Graham running...

Heather Graham was charming as always and the kids in it were so NOT overbearing like most kid actors.

BONUS: Urkel! Yes, Jaleel White, Steve Urkel from Family Matters played Judy's teacher. AND he played the banjo. We love Urkel!

And yes, they're already asking for the DVD. We give Judy Moody And The Not Bummer Summer 18 thumbs up.

6 comments:

  1. Oh my MG. When's the last time you went on a movie date with the hubby? Go see Robot Baby II with him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay Judy Moody! My girls love those books. I'm sure they're going to be excited about this movie. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My boys are finally old enough to take to movies without too much hassle. It's nice.

    And I just got done reading the previews for that movie. Not good. But I'll take a mom's opinion over a bunch of overweight, white men movie critics anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had such a blast! Thanks Ali! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh..Urkel! Now I have to see it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice! Movie date with the girls + kids. Can't wait til my son is old enough for a movie date with me :)

    ReplyDelete