Monday, June 6, 2011

I Paid $93 for this Dance Costume...

"I paid $93 for this dance costume and I'll be damned if she's not going to dance!"

Our daughter is ridiculously shy. She's the kind of kid who hides behind you in the presence of other adults, clinging for dear life to your leg as you struggle not to trip over her. It was only a few days ago that she froze at her Pre-K graduation and covered her eyes and cried in hysterics until I walked up and got her.

Graduation wasn't her first bout of stage fright either. It happened a few times at dance class too when the parents were invited in to watch. Full on crying. But even knowing this, we were going to make her suck it up and give it a go. I had a $93 dollar costume investment and several relatives counting on it.

So I set out to make her look like a hooker ballerina. I had some blue eyeshadow that I had to use for something after all. Neutrals just weren't cutting it and blue was the only color that showed up. Leave it to my kid to totally pull off the look too. Mascara, glitter, pink lipstick. The whole nine yards. I did an awesome job because I'm an awesome mom (just threw that in).

Onto the hair, which she doesn't have much of thanks to her little shenanigans with the scissors the one time I took a nap the entire year of 2010...However, after twisting her curls up into a little bun, I shellacked this girl's hair so well it could have taken a bullet.Yes, my child could have been shot in the head an lived to not tell about it...because she's so shy.

To my absolute astonishment, dress rehearsal went off without a hitch. I think it's because she couldn't see me sitting there. Now we were off to get her picture taken with her partner in crime, Molly and then lunch at Chik-fil-A (alas, it wasn't a Sunday - yay!)

Then back for the recital. I'll cut to the chase *yes, I should have done that before* the kid danced!!! She didn't smile and hardly looked into the audience, but she danced! And I breathed a huge sigh of relief.

They asked for no flash photography, hence the grainy shots.







Here's Molly - you'll notice I half-assedly just cloned her into the picture and cut some other insignificant kid out. Are we keeping you awake Molly?



And now that we have determined that she's a future prima ballerina we had a little picture takin' to do.

Posing with her mom, Aunt Tanya and cousin Kate.
























Refusing to allow us to take a picture of her face.






















She's already being a diva: ignoring her biggest fan when all he wanted was a kiss.


It was a long day. All that attention made her mighty tired.



I particularly like this shot of her with her makeup running down her face. She looks like Ozzy Osbourne. ROCK ON! She's going to kick ass at soccer in the fall.

9 comments:

  1. I love her, in the least creepy way possible I swear. What a cutie! I love the diva shots after the performance. My sister cut her own hair when we were little as well. I think my mom was actually having a basket making party in our living room. Yep, basket making.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is adorable. So glad she actually used that expensive dance costume.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She's so beautiful! Although, that hairdo gave me a headache just looking at it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've got a leg-grabber-make-you-trip-and-die too. I feel your pain!

    Your little not-hooker is so cute. So. Cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, she is so cute! And the make-up was definitely just right--no Toddlers & Tiaras here!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I.love.this.

    I started ballet when I was 4... I danced for 10 years... 3 en pointe... I miss it. and I'm hoping and praying that Goose will want to be a dancer... because I know I can't force her into it, Hubs says she's going to be a big BUCK hunter - I say why can't she be both? Her momma was! :)

    She's absolutely adorable! thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awwww... I danced for 20 years, and taught dance for 6 years, and if it's one thing I can tell you is that with the little ones, you can NEVER tell what's going to happen when they're on stage. Some of the ones that barely moved a muscle all year in class end up doing just fine, and some who were ardent participants during class end up so stage-struck that they forget to dance! I'm glad she had fun, that's the important part :)

    -Angela@BeggingTheAnswer

    ReplyDelete
  8. She looks adorable in the pictures! I'm glad she got over her shyness to dance!

    ReplyDelete